S/836 Regency Mahogany Military Writing Slope
The rectangular lid, fitted with brass corner mounts and a plaque engraved 'Captain Barnell 40TH Reg.', opens to reveal a brass capped ink pot, a wafer slide, a lidded compartment and a removable pen tray.
The full sized writing surface, lined with green baize, opens to reveal a mahogany lined compartment to each side. When using the detachable book rest, the top is supported on an adjustable brass hinged rest.
The whole, fitted with a full length drawer and a locking pin, has a lock to the front, with brass strap work to the corners, and has a good colour, is in good condition and retains a patination.
The 40th Regiment of Foot was founded in 1717 in Nova Scotia and was a regiment in the British Army till 1881 when it was amalgamated into the Prince of Wales Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment). The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment in the present British Army is a direct linear descendant regiment of the 40th Regiment of Foot.
16½ in. (42 cm.) Wide
10 in. (25.5 cm.) Deep
6 in. (15.5 cm.) High
English Circa 1810