S/4014 Antique Treen 19th Century Herb Chopper
A good quality and most useful herb chopper, having a brass collared sycamore handle. The blade is stamped Taylors Celebrated Witness Sheffield, with the eye registration mark. John Taylor founded a knife and edge tool firm circa 1820, and in 1838 was granted the Eye Witness trademark, and moved to the newly built Eye Witness works on Milton Street. After his death in 1854 the firm passed to his daughter, who married into the Needham family, also knife producers, and the company then became Needhams Ltd. After a chequered history the firm is still in operation today.
12½ in. (32 cm.) Wide
English Circa 1840